In Partnership with StackCommerce
Newsflash: your data is constantly exposed to massive, unimaginable amounts of risk online every single day, between hackers, thieves, brands, your own internet service providers, and the government. You might think you're not a worthwhile target for anyone, so it's fine to use the same password for every site and that you don't need to worry about encryption and VPNs, but the truth is you really, really do. Online identity theft is skyrocketing, massive hacks have become the norm, and there's a huge black market for stolen data.
1. Get a VPN. Now. DO IT.
Your personal internet privacy is crumbling right now - Congress is allowing ISPs to track your movement online and sell your data to 3rd party advertisers and net neutrality is next on the chopping block. Big companies and the government are not the entities you should rely on to keep your data secure - for now, you have to rely on no one but yourself to accomplish this, and getting a VPN is the first step.
Do you know what a VPN is? Basically: it re-routes your internet traffic so that you go through an encrypted VPN server instead of your normal ISP. Of course, this means you're now entrusting your data to a VPN service. The benefit is that these services live and die by holding on to customer trust and respecting their need for privacy, whereas ISPs couldn't give a shit less about that.
In the past, VPNs were primarily used for workplace things (accessing an intranet) and doing internet pirate-y things - illegally downloading media and accessing banned sites. But that's not really the case anymore - people are using VPNs just to protect themselves and their data.
VPN Unlimited is a great option - it consistently gets great reviews from places like PC Mag and TechRadar, and it comes with a bevy of convenient features that makes it pretty simple to use, even for someone not too savvy in tech stuff:
- Secure public Wi-Fi connection: your data is hidden & encrypted
- Unlimited traffic bandwidth: no need to worry about your data usage
- Unlimited high-speed connection
- A growing selection of servers globally: currently 70+ locations in 50+ countries including USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong and Japan, with more than 1000 servers
- Fast server switching & app operating
- Blocks ads, malware, & tracking systems w/ the newly included DNS Firewall
And right now, they've got a couple deals going on:
If you're a little reticent about this, the 3 year option's probably for you - it's less than 20 bucks, after all. But if you really wanna get the most bang for your buck and guarantee your online data protection, under 40 bucks will protect you for YOUR ENTIRE LIFE. Not a bad deal, eh?
Of course, if you WANT your internet provider to sell your browsing habits to 3rd party advertisers, just keep on keepin' on.
2. YOU NEED TO GET A FIREWALL, DUMMY. FOR REAL.
If you think your pre-installed anti-virus software will protect your computer / devices / etc., you really need a reality check: most are woefully-unprepared for the clever new viruses and schemes thought up by hackers from around the world. You're an easy target, so you should do SOMETHING proactive to protect yourself, right? DUH.
As of now, you have a VPN, which is a great step in protecting your privacy, but it's not going to do all that much to protect you from viruses and aggressive hackers - you need a firewall for that. And a firewall named after Stephen King's most infamous dog? Even better.
Meet CUJO - a firewall (with free subscription service!) that will be your protector and help you never worry about hackers and viruses again.
Your home is full of smart devices that aren't protected by antivirus software, leaving them and your home network open to unwelcome digital intruders. That means they can control your home's devices, see your online activities, and even steal your personal information. Don't let that happen. Simply connect CUJO to your network and let it use its machine learning protocols to secure every device operating on that network. This smart firewall keeps your home (and family) safe from hacks, viruses, and other web threats that could affect any web-connected device on your network, all without slowing it down. Best of all, this deal includes a free lifetime subscription to all of CUJO's business-level services.
- Secure all your network-connected devices w/ one tool for life
- Enjoy business-level internet security blocking malicious sites, viruses, & hacks
- Keep your network safe from phishing, malware, web cam hacks, & other cyber threats
- Use the mobile app to control & monitor all devices on your network, receive instant threat notifications, & control internet access for select devices
- Manually override any blocks automated by CUJO so you're in control all the time
- Institute parental controls like site blocks, access schedules, & time limits w/ new feature coming this month
And right now, you can have some peace of mind for only $224.99 (9% off!).
3. Stop using "Password123!" for every password and GET A F***ING PASSWORD MANAGER BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.
Let's face facts: you are NOT being secure enough with your passwords. Even if you're smart enough to not use literally the same exact password for every site and service you're signed up for, there's a good chance there are some that are the same, and that mild convenience puts you at CRAZY risk. Here's the situation: massive email hacks from companies happen A LOT these days - and if they get your user data (e.g. your email and password), it's really simple for them to test those same emails and passwords across a slew of other services to see if they can steal your identity or just get some cash. If your old MySpace account used the same email and password as your Amazon account or Uber account, get ready to lose some money.
"But there's no way I can remember a bunch of wildly different, insanely complicated passwords to ward away hackers!" you say. Well, ya know what I say to that? GET REAL, IDIOT. I know you can't remember dozens of different complex passwords - no one can. That's why password managers exist, and why you should get one right now.
And - if you wanted to know if we had a recommendation, don't worry - we gotcha covered: Sticky Password Protection (Lifetime Subscription):
No need to struggle with remembering long and complicated passwords, Sticky Password is your award-winning password management and form filler solution, available for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. This lifetime Sticky Password Premium subscription protects your online identity by providing strong encrypted passwords for all your accounts, managed by a single master password known by you, and only you.
- Create strong, unique passwords, whenever & wherever you need them, on all of your devices
- Enjoy premium quality security for your all of your passwords & personal information
- Automatically log-in to recognized sites
- Choose between cloud-based or local storage for your password library
- Fill out online forms instantly w/ saved information
- Trusted technology -- millions of people protected
For only $29.99 (that's 80% off of the normal $149.99 pricetag), you don't have to worry about your passwords being at risk ever again - or even worry about HAVING TO REMEMBER PASSWORDS! Less than $30 will buy you convenience, simplicity, AND common sense online protection for the rest of your natural life.
4. COVER YOUR WEBCAM SO HACKERS DON'T RECORD YOU IN YOUR "PRIVATE TIME"
While everything else so far provides a pretty broad level of protection to you from a software point of view, there's some harder, more physical real life threats associated with your computer's privac that you can very easily solve - namely your webcam.
It's terrifying how easily your webcam can be accessed by a clever enough individual (or, uh, the NSA) - you could be getting spied on and not even realize it. Someone could be taking compromising videos or pictures of you at any moment, without you having any idea your webcam is even being utilized.
Wanna know how scary and real this is? Mark Zuckerberg, the internet's most powerful billionaire, covers his webcam - If MARK ZUCKERBERG doesn't feel comfortable leaving his webcam uncovered, shouldn't you?
Yes, yes you should - and while you could cheap out and just put some tape over your camera, you could class it up for not all that much money. A 6-pack of Nope Webcam Covers will only run you $14.99 (that's 31% off!), and won't leave sticky residue on your nice computer the way regular tape would.
The set comes with:
- Includes 2 Nopes, 4 Nope Minis
- Protects from hackers & spies that gain access to your camera
- Includes a thin space between the magnet & computer to avoid damage
- Partially levitates w/ a small part is held by magnetism
- Made for smartphone, tablet, desktop & laptop webcams
- Attaches to your screen w/ thin 3M VHB tape
So - it's cheap, it looks good, and it helps you not worry about someone videotaping you...doing whatever things you tend to do at night when you're alone in bed with your laptop. Whatever that may be.
5. Protect your phone number from all the weirdos out there. Seriously, this is important.
Most people are WAY too casual with their phone number - using it for dating sites, Craigslist, and a huge number of other places that might allow it to be found by weirdos or strangers who you really don't need to have it. And worse still - people from work. Do you really want your boss calling your private cell phone number when you're a little late responding to his email on a Saturday night? BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME AND IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU.
Luckily, we have a solution (it'd be kinda a dick move if we got you all freaked out about something and then didn't provide a solution, right?) - Hushed Private Phone Line: Lifetime Subscription:
Keep your real phone number hidden while making calls and sending texts for work, dating, Craigslist sales, and more thanks to Hushed. You'll use their simple and secure app to easily make calls on your second number (you'll even choose the area code) without committing to another long, expensive phone contract. Customize your voicemail and use Wi-Fi or data to talk without expensive service charges. It's true communication anonymity delivered.
- Use included plan towards a combination of 3000 SMS or 500 phone minutes per year (North America 365 Plan)
- Make calls & send texts from a private phone number without monthly fees
- Choose from 100's of area codes across the US & Canada
- Manage your communication from a single app
- Access one lifetime number per account
- Customize your voicemail
- Set up call forwarding settings
- Utilize Wi-Fi or data while you chat so you don't incur service charges
So for a mere $25 (which is 82% off), you can make sure the only people who have your phone number are the people you WANT to have your phone number - and it's easy to setup and manage. You might not think this is that big of a deal right now, but trust me: it will save you A LOT of headaches down the line.